Skip to main content

Discovering Me

 Humans...

     We're all sexual beasts--

     At least that's what society

     Wants us to believe.


People...

     Full of self-doubt

     And bathed in insecurities;

     When will our truths come out?


Society...

     If I'm being completely honest,

     Your approval isn't needed, I promise.

     I'm out!


I'm discovering me...

     Welcome to my journey.

     Welcome to my life.

     Welcome to my existence.

     Welcome to my strife.


Here I am, discovering me....

     I was never really a fan of kiss and tell.

     I've never been a fan of kissing--

     Hell.


And the only reason I ever rushed towards sex,

     Was because that is what society expects.

     Still, I put it off as long as I could,

     Because my sexuality was misunderstood.


Not just by them

     but by me as well.


Early in life I found myself attracted...

     More towards the infinite feminine capacity;

     Beyond the grasp physical beauty had on me.

     Book smarts, artistic &/or athletic ability--

     They proved to be more of a thrill for me.


Still the older boys would often ask...

     Was there something going on

     Between me and some lass?

     Their question birthed

     In the strangest of manners;

     From this idea that friendship between sexes

     Can only exist if to sexual desire it panders.


So, on numerous occasions I was often left...

     Attempting to explain my relationships to them.

     Sometimes there was a general attraction,

     Not entirely deprived of some sexual action.

     Other times there was an unavoidable physical appeal

     But it lacked any consideration for sexual zeal.


Still it confused them when I openly expressed...

     My understanding of physical beauty for both of the sexes.

     Even my friends & family were sometimes perplexed at this--

     What could it possibly mean?

     And so...

     They strained!


Because I saw the physical beauty in other men...

     Was I gay?

     "Not so," I would say--

     For I see the same beauty in women too.


But there exists towards men no sexual or romantic desire.

     So, with their thoughts they did conspire...

     And the conclusion was?

     To continue to interrogate my sexuality--


Alphabetically!


"So are you Asexual or Bisexual?"

    They would ask.

    To which I proposed 

     It could be both...

     As a matter of fact!


"However, it's unlikely"--

      I maintained.

      For while, no man can spark my sexual fire

      On occasion, I may oblige a woman’s desires.

    And towards men I’ve never held any romantic overtures

      But with women there’s been romance for sure.


Therefore...

     I am... (for now...)

     A self-described hetero-asexual man;

     Still somewhat perplexed to fully unwind

     Where on the asexual spectrum I stand.

     

Maybe our overtly sexualized society has it right,

     And it's nowhere at all.

     Or maybe... just maybe,

     My truths are not for them to define.


But this much I know...

     Intelligence & maturity are compelling qualities;

     More so than physical appeal will ever be alone,

     And while I sometimes partake in a sexual release--

     It's more medicinal than something I care to seek.

And I do not restrict my dating life

     To the confines of the asexual alike.


I am not opposed to relationships with highly sexual beings;

     Though, I'd simply prefer to cuddle at night,

     And discuss our feelings.


So, at the ripe old age of thirty-one...

     There's not much else to say.

     My journey has really only just begun

     With no end in sight.


I'm just an aromantic? 

                             Asexual!

                                              Bird watching man?


Now watch me take flight...

     Sans on setting plans.

                   I'm just discovering me! 🖤


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel That Stands Before Me

Lilacs dancing to the rhythm of the winds The sun beaming down on me & my friends Light glistens across the water’s edge But all this beauty can’t keep me from feeling just dread.  Because there’s an angel that stands before me Unaware that my heart is placed firmly in her hands. This torture I must endure as I continue to pretend That she occupies no other space than that of a friend. This love I feel for her is the seed of a forbidden fruit For she is with my best friend and there is nothing I can do. I had hoped it was just a crush, a passing taboo Yet every day my feelings for her bloom, and bloom. When I smell her perfume I daydream of raspberry sunsets Her lip gloss invoking the tasteful pleasures of pastries made Her smile could just light up the moon on a summer’s day Her eyes sparkle like diamonds encased in stones of jade. What would she do if she knew I had these feelings? We will never know because I can’t let them out. So, the angel that stands before me Will never kno

Dressed All In Gray

🌫️ From my head to my toes, from hats to my shoes I’ve got a closet full of black and blue hues. And with a small assortment of some colorful frays Isn’t it strange I still have some days where I somehow end up dressed all in grays— Is this my subconscious with something to say? Come hither heather through the layers of fog & ash while clouds pewter & pebble with each charcoaled shadow’s overpass as graphite slates unto an anchored mass. Who will next join me on a potentially romantic journey as I lay here pondering on Cupid’s gurney— Do I really have any real romantic inclinations or is my life just riddled with social replication? Because… I’ve had many different relationships I’ve sort of explored but for most I’ve failed to pull the ripcord of “what more?